This new collaboration will align the various OST efforts of the Managing Director’s Office; the Department of Human Services; Parks & Recreation; the Free Library; the School District of Philadelphia; and other existing and potential stakeholders.
Philadelphia’s OST Initiative is grounded in the following:
- OST is an important and valuable component of learning and development for our young people.
- OST includes before school, afterschool, summer, and other expanded learning opportunities for youth that promote their intellectual, creative, and healthy development.
- To build high-quality programs, we must focus on cultivating a stable and trained OST workforce.
- By working together as a public/private system we can leverage resources to better serve more of Philadelphia’s youth.
- Gathering, using, and sharing data is critical to program improvement, accountability, and sustainability.
- Engaging youth, families, and the community in OST will improve the quality of life in our neighborhoods.
- OST will align with city-wide initiatives such as Rebuild, PHLpreK, Read by 4th Campaign and Community Schools.