During COVID-19, most Out-of-School Time (OST) after-school and summer programs have moved online to offer virtual programming to Philadelphia students.
The Office of Children and Families wants to support OST providers and families as much as possible during this challenging time — scroll down for online resources we’ve compiled for program activities, professional development, and family support. These will be updated frequently to reflect new opportunities.
COVID-19 Resources from the City of Philadelphia
Out-of-School Time (OST) programs help both youth and working parents succeed. Programs are available throughout the city with a variety of activities to choose from including math and reading support, STEM/STEAM, arts and crafts, sports, and more!
- Online workshop “Safe Mode” reopening guidelines for summer camps
- Summer update 2020: camps, free meals, and keeping kids busy and safe
- What the green phase means for Philadelphia
- Summer activities for families and early learning providers
- A guide for staff working with children and youth during COVID-19
- We can all help keep kids safe: A child abuse prevention resource guide
Professional Development for OST Providers
- National Afterschool Association (NAA) professional development: this blog from NAA has the latest news and reflections from the OST professional community on operating OST programs during COVID-19, career development, research and more.
- Pennsylvania Statewide Afterschool Youth Development Network (PSAYDN) webinars: register for upcoming OST professional development webinars hosted by PSAYDN.
- Penn State Extension Better Kid Care online learning: find evidence-informed training modules, and the latest blog posts and resources for early-childhood and school-aged professionals.
- Follow the Office of Children and Families on YouTube! We will post our latest professional development training sessions on our channel throughout the year.
OST Summer Programming Resources
Online activity resources for OST providers: Check out our collection of online resources compiled by Office of Children and Families Out-of-School Time staff. This spreadsheet includes links to read alouds, coding activities, movement / physical education, STEM/STEAM, fun games, and more.
- Download our literacy tipsheets for providers: Creating a Literacy Rich Environment, Successful Read Alouds, and Sparking Interest in Independent Reading.
- See our list of online read aloud videos compiled by Office of Children and Families Out-of-School Time staff.
- Free Library of Philadelphia’s Summer of Wonder Camp Challenge is taking place virtually this year. Camps and groups are challenged to add at least 30 minutes of reading and literacy activities into their daily schedule. Register to access online training resources for staff, and find group activities and programming.
- Dive into the Summer Learning Adventure from Read by 4th and its partners! They have put together a robust summer learning platform with six weeks of fun activities for kids in grades Pre-K to 2.
Health and Athletics
- Find sports-based activities for at-home fun and exercise from the Philadelphia Youth Sports Collaborative (PYSC).
Creative and Performing Arts
- Hip Hop Fundamentals dance classes: check out this video series of fun dance lessons from Hip Hop Fundamentals and Young Audiences Arts for Learning. Younger students (grades 1-3) can learn the basics of classic hip-hop dancing including footwork, rhythm, and freezes culminating in a complete routine. Older students (grades 4 and up) can learn from a more advanced series that covers toprocking, six-step, and power moves culminating in a fun and challenging routine!
- Access Fleisher Art Adventures – Fleisher Art Memorial is offering a free series of weekly, online art lessons for Philadelphia students in grades K – 8. Projects range from paper mache, pop-art, bookmaking, drawing and more! Classes are available in Spanish. New projects and tutorials will be posted weekly on the Art Adventures page.
Find more ideas for OST creative arts activities in our online activity resources spreadsheet.
We will continue to update this list as new resources become available. There’s more to come, so check back soon!
Last Updated: 07/17/20